Ready, Aim, Fireworks! Safety Tips for 4th of July Celebrations
We’ve almost made it to Independence Day, and we’re sure your celebrations will include plenty of good food, time with friends, and quite possibly, fireworks. Fireworks are a traditional way to recognize the 4th, and while very entertaining, they can also be dangerous for those who fail to follow basic safety protocols or those who choose to use them inappropriately or recklessly. While common sense goes a long way with fireworks usage (don’t use them indoors, keep them away from children and pets, wear safety glasses, avoid drinking alcohol while using fireworks, etc.) there are a few things you might not have considered when getting ready set your holiday party off with a bang. Here are five things to keep in mind as you prepare for this year’s colorful display in your own backyard:
- Before you light them, you have to buy them! Only purchase fireworks from licensed, reputable dealers. Buying from a licensed provider lets you know that all products mean safety standards and are legal in your state.
- Keep water nearby. You never know when an accident could happen, and keeping water nearby (and a fire extinguisher if you’re really wanting to promote safety and preparedness) is the best way to take care of small mishaps before they become BIG problems.
- How you throw away used fireworks matters. Only dispose of used fireworks after thoroughly saturating them with water. Place them in an outdoor, metal garbage can or disposal container.
- The “if at first you don’t succeed, try again” rule does NOT apply to fireworks. If you get a dud, never attempt to re-light or persist with lighting a firework. If it doesn’t light properly on the first attempt, still douse it with water and then dispose of it properly.
- Don’t use fireworks in windy conditions. Breezy or windy weather could send sparks in the wrong direction, and end up starting a fire. Calm, clear weather is best when using fireworks.
We encourage you to follow these rules and any additional safety regulations included in the instructions if you’l be using fireworks this week to celebrate the 4th. Even when you play it safe, accidents can happen. When the unexpected happens to you, are you prepared? Carroll Marshall Insurance helps you be ready for whatever life throws your way, with home, auto, health, and life policies from top providers in Florida. Give us a call or stop by our downtown Winter Haven office and see what we can do for you.